January 31, 2012
Good news for all Windows Phone users who either keep flashing or switching roms or have accidentally deleted SMS or you are switching to brand new Windows Phone and want to restore back. SMS Backup tool which came out recently and used to backup all your SMS to Skydrive or on your phone can now also restore all your SMS provided your phone is at least Dev / Chevron unlocked starting from version 0.4.
I have used it restore a deleted SMS. one of the Omnia 7 users confirmed it works when you switch rom. The only place it will not work is because of the latest KK2 Update by Samsung which blocks the hack but if you have unlocked before you will not have issues.
How to use Restore Feature :
- If you have come here directly, Go grab the SMS Backup App from here and read the tutorial from here
- Go to Settings of SMS Backup and switch to Backup. Select Backup Store.vol and it will take all backup of your SMS.
- Download the Windows Phone Power Tool from here
- Connect your phone, turn on Zune.
- Now launch the Windows Phone Power Tool and connect to your phone
- Switch to File Browser and look for an App with GUID as seen in the image below, Expand it
- Navigate to BackupVols
- Select store.vol and use the Get Button to export on your computer.
PS. Next step if you have switch rom make sure to install SMS backup again.
- Run the Windows Phone Power Tool and navigate to the same App Navigate to BackupVols
- This time use the Put File Option which will prompt you to select a file. Point it to the system.vol file you backup earlier.
- Launch the App and go to Backup Restore Section.
- Hit the restore button and if your files are placed correctly, it will restore and then ask you to restart your phone.
- Once you do that, you should see all your SMS in place.
I have paid the $99 fee out of desperation, phone is fully unlocked, but can t register the phone to skydrive so I need to use the isolated storage option. Unfortunately I have no idea how to actually use isolated storage to view the information/restore the sms in such a way that I can read it. Everything requires more know how than I actually have, although I have downloaded Visual Studio for what it s worth. Emulator just shows up blank. I have I can see where the roottools shows me where the file is on the phone, but just can t seem to restore the files and view them. Any advice? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Which Phone is it. and what is the problem it shows when connecting to Skydrive ?